What is a chemical peel?
A chemical peel OR a chemical face peel is a medical technique used to improve the appearance of the skin on the face, neck or hands. A chemical solution is applied to the skin that causes it to exfoliate and eventually peel off. The new, regenerated skin is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin. There are three basic types of chemical peels:
- Superficial or lunchtime peel: In this cemical peel treatment, Alpha-hydroxy acid or another mild acid is used to penetrate only the outer layer of skin to gently exfoliate it. The treatment is used to improve the appearance of mild skin discoloration and rough skin as well as to refresh the face, neck, chest or hands.
- Medium peel: We can use Chemical Peel for acne scars too. Glycolic or trichloroacetic acid is applied to penetrate the out and middle layers of skin to remove damaged skin cells. The treatment is used to improve age spots, fine lines and wrinkles, freckles and moderate skin discoloration. It also can be used to smooth rough skin and treat some precancerous skin growths, i.e. actinic keratosis.
- Deep peel: Trichloroacetic acid or phenol is applied to deeply penetrate the middle layer of skin to remove damaged skin cells. The treatment removes moderate lines, age spots, freckles and shallow scars appearance.
Looking for Best Chemical Peel treatment in Mumbai? We at Top Skin Care Clinics in India, provide skin peeling treatment, chemical peel treatment at affordable cost. Chemical peel treatments are used to treat wrinkles, discolored skin and scars usually on face. They can be done by yourself or with other procedures.
What can I expect after having a chemical peel?
All peels require some follow-up care:
- Superficial peels require one to seven days to heal. Treated skin will initially be red and may scale. Lotion or cream should be applied until the skin heals, followed by daily use of sunscreen. Makeup can usually be worn the next day.
- Medium peels require seven to 14 days to heal. Treated skin will initially be red and swollen. Swelling worsens for the first 48 hours. Eyelids may swell shut. Blisters may form and break. Skin crusts and peels off in seven to 14 days. Skin must be soaked daily for a specified period, followed by ointment application. Antiviral medication is taken for 10 to 14 days. Mild lotion or cream may be applied. Avoid all sun exposure until healing is complete. Camouflage makeup may be worn after five to seven days. A follow-up appointment will be necessary to monitor progress.
- Deep peels require 14 to 21 days to heal. The treated area will be bandaged. Skin must be soaked four to six times daily, followed by ointment application for the first 14 days. Afterwards a thick moisturizer is applied for the next 14 days. Antiviral medication is taken for 10 to 14 days. Mild lotion or cream may be applied.
Is a chemical peel right for you?
Chemical peels are just one method to regenerate and rejuvenate the skin. There are also light energy or laser treatments, or mechanical treatments such as dermabrasion.
“All three things really can cause the same benefit in skilled hands,”Dr.Samreen Khan said, adding that she prefers chemical peels “because it’s less expensive, it’s less painful and it’s quicker.”
If you’re interested in having a chemical face peel, or perhaps wondering whether a peel is even right for you, you should consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can advise you with their expertise. You can also try chemical peel at home, but know that you likely won’t see any drastic results.
Also know about Dermal Fillers here